Thursday, August 30, 2007

shelter


David Randlett untangles cascading nasturtiums at the Driftwood Inn, where he is a maintenance employee in Juneau. Although he recently rented an apartment in town, he's holding off on moving until the weather turns. Randlett says he prefers staying out at the Thane Campground.
"I don't like living in a box," he said. "They want us in boxes."
When Randlett lived in Georgia, a code enforcement officer came by his campsite and asked him, "Why do you want to live like this?"
"Because I can see the deer in the morning, the different waves of birds who stop by to feed, and sit by the campfire and play guitar at night," Randlett said.
"You couldn't camp out for more than two weeks even on your own property and they were going to take my landlord to court," he said. "When they made me tear my camp down, it tore my heart out of me.
"And that's why I came to Alaska, but I'm finding out now it's not free. The wave of political correctness has finally hit Juneau."